Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Training

Babs, RN has some interesting discussions going on in the comments section. One of them reminded me of my 30th birthday.

My husband had never missed a birthday, to that point. Hasn't since, I might add. I always know he's remembered because I wake up to cards and flowers. EVERY birthday.

Except for the 30th.

Nothing. Not a card. Not a flower. I knew he'd forgotten. I was a little disturbed, so I decided I'd take a lesson from him. He's fond of the expression, "Don't get mad, get even."

So I went to the large wall calendar in the kitchen and wrote, "Judy's Birthday" on the calendar. And didn't say one word about it when he phoned that afternoon - or when he came in from work. Empty handed.

He checked the calendar and allowed as how he'd forgotten an important errand. Right.

When he returned an hour or so later, he had gifts, flowers, a card - and had arranged a sitter for a dinner date.

I told the story to other people for years before I finally admitted to him what I'd done. He didn't have a clue.

Anniversary? He hasn't ever missed one. I had that date engraved on the inside of his wedding band. Prior to the wedding.

1 comment:

liz said...

Very smart! My husband nearly missed my 30th birthday as well...I knew he was forgetting and said just a little something to jog his memory just in time.