Friday, July 13, 2007

Turtle Safe

Tiny Turtle seems to have settled into a routine. Eat, sleep, hide. Mostly hide.

We've had a drought around here and catching worms is more of a challenge than I care for. I priced some night crawlers at the bait shop and decided that shrimp was a better bargain, given how little this turtle actually needs to eat. The humans here will be finishing up the rest of the pound of shrimp after he chows down on his quarter of a small one.

Usually I clean his rock, put his food on it, pull him out from his hiding place and show him the food. He hisses at me, hides, and comes back later to clean off the rock. Today he hissed at me, but then chowed down. It's the first time we've actually seen him eat.

Today's salad consisted of the aforementioned quarter of a small shrimp, quarter of a small grape, quarter (maybe less) of a grape tomato, and Romaine lettuce all chopped small for a small turtle. He's ripping through it as I type.

On the back of the shrimp package in bold red letters it says

TURTLE SAFE

We got a good laugh from that. My first thought was, "How do they know what we're doing with the shrimp." Then I realized that they meant none of his relatives were put in danger for this meal. I think I need a nap.

No comments: